- Under the supervision of a pharmacist, picks and affixes labels to packages of prepackaged and unit dose drugs in accordance with the dispensing order. Prepares and affixes shipping labels to the individual patient shipping containers.
- Answers external phone calls pertinent to department assignment.
- Assembles and packages medications, supplies and equipment in appropriate shipping containers.
- Assists with maintaining accurate inventory through pulling expirations.
- Attends designated department meetings as scheduled.
- Communicates and coordinates internally with customer service, billing, pharmacy, and shipping departments to move patient orders through the system and meet the promised delivery date.
- Communicates by phone and fax as necessary with patient, physician office, and insurance to make sure pharmacy has most updated prescription and prior authorization information on file.
- Creates pre-packages supply items.
- Maintains necessary licensure needed for pharmacy technicians.
- Maintains the pharmacy department according to state and federal regulations.
- Picks supplies and equipment for patient orders as indicated on the delivery ticket.
- Prepares delivery tickets including prescription and supply items as necessary.
- Prints delivery tickets, collates and triages delivery tickets according to excursion data.
- Receives and processes data entry of new and refill prescriptions in the pharmacy computer system.
- Recognizes and identifies various classifications of medications, dosage form and routes of administration.
- Verifies prescription elements are present on all prescriptions.
Other Job Requirements
ResponsibilitiesMust have pharmacy intern license as required by applicable state laws OR:
Must have an active pharmacy technician licensure or registration in accordance with state requirements.
If state does not require an exam for licensure/registration, must possess both active pharmacy technician licensure or registration in accordance with state requirements AND an active national certification (e.g., PTCB or ExCPT).
In states that do not require licensure or registration, must have an active national certification (e.g., PTCB or ExCPT).
Specialty or retail pharmacy industry experience, previous reimbursement experience, and/or working in a health plan/health care setting.
Proficiency in Pharmacy computerized systems and software applications, as well as MS Office Product Suite.
Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
Ability to identify and trouble-shoot problematic issues.
Pharmacy technician experience in prescription entry, picking, labeling and preparing medication orders for pharmacist verification.
General Job Information
TitlePHARMACY TECHNICIAN I (PRN)
Work Experience - RequiredPharmacy
Work Experience - Preferred
Education - RequiredGED, High School
Education - Preferred
License and Certifications - RequiredCPT/ExCPT/LPT/PTCB/RPT, Pharmacy Technician, State Requirements - Pharmacy, Pharmacy Intern - Pharmacy
License and Certifications - Preferred
Magellan Health, Inc. is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer and a Tobacco-free workplace. EOE/M/F/Vet/Disabled.
Every employee must understand, comply with and attest to the security responsibilities and security controls unique to their
position; and comply with all applicable legal, regulatory, and contractual requirements and internal policies and procedures.