The Pharmacist in Charge is responsible for handling and overseeing all prescription entry, medication storage, preparation, and distribution in our retail pharmacy including managing pharmacists, technicians and other personnel completing various assignments. The Pharmacist in Charge ensures that the pharmacy provides optimal services; meets all legal, accreditation, and certification requirements; complies with all applicable policies, procedures, codes, and standards of practice. Additional responsibilities include counseling patients on medication needs, making recommendations to physicians and nurses regarding pharmaceutical questions and entering data into our pharmacy management system.
Essential Functions: In addition to working in accordance with appropriate conduct and behavioral standards, specific responsibilities of this role include:
- Dispensing prescribed medications, monitoring and maintaining inventory including properly securing, maintaining, and reporting controlled substances, distribution, and use of pharmaceuticals, overseeing prescription processing activities to ensure that quality and standard of practice is maintained.
- Administering immunizations, overseeing return to stock processing and submitting appropriate claims for third-party reimbursement.
- Ensuring patients are evaluated for appropriateness of therapy provided by the Pharmacy including answering pharmaceutical questions from patients and personnel and enters data such as patient name, prescribed medication and cost, to maintain files, charge system, and inventory.
- Consulting with physicians, nurses and assisted living facilities regarding pharmaceutical questions and any potential incompatibility with patient’s prescriptions.
- Supervising professional and support personnel including planning and assigning duties, goal setting, providing training, performance evaluations, addressing complaints and resolving problems.
- Maintaining records of all transactions of the Pharmacy as necessary to ensure accurate control over and accountability for all drugs as required by applicable state and federal laws, rules, and regulation and ensuring compliance with all applicable laws and regulations and documenting and reporting medication errors to Senior Management.
- Ensuring policies and procedures and all personnel are in compliance with state Board of Pharmacy requirements.
- Coordinate with the Senior Management to ensure the pharmacy’s licensure with various state pharmacy boards is maintained and monitor licensure requirements.
- Bachelor’s or advanced degree in pharmacy from an accredited institution.
- Registered Pharmacist with unrestricted license from the Florida Board of Pharmacy.
- Three (3) or more years of pharmacy care experience.
- Three (3) or more years of related pharmacy management experience
- Immunization administration certification from the Florida Board of Pharmacy.
Working Environment/Physical Demands
- General retail environment: Works generally at a counter in, air-conditioned retail store, with moderate noise volumes.
- Maybe required to occasionally travel outside where the elements may be hot or cold.
- Activities require a significant amount of standing at retail store and work in front of a computer monitor.
- Some bending, reach and the ability to lift, push or pull a minimum of 25 lbs.