Primary City/State:Mesa, Arizona
*$1000 Sign on Bonus
A position in a Banner Health pharmacy is one you can look forward to. Join an engaging environment of full service, high technology and experience a wide variety of responsibilities. You?ll also see how important a pharmacy job is to our ability to make life easier for our patients. Come enjoy great challenges and build both your knowledge of the field and your analytical skills.
The Department of Pharmacy at Banner Desert & Cardons Children's Medical is partially automated with the use of automated dispensing cabinets. We are also equipped with computerized physician order entry (CPOE) and electronic medication administration record (eMAR) through the CERNER program. With our highly functional clinical staff, we practice the decentralized pharmacy model wherein pharmacists are assigned a unit to provide pharmaceutical care to patients. Pharmacists, residents and students actively participate in patient care through rounds, medical record and medication order review and staff education. Other activities include discharge counseling, medication history completion, emergency response, drug information and implementation of medication interventions that will positively impact the patient?s overall health and well-being.
As a Technician at BDMC you will have the opportunity to work with Pediatric patients in a busy environment and works great for a very detailed candidate. You will work with a very passionate pediatric team who enjoys working hard, and assuring that every patient is well taken care of. The pharmacy team is highly engaged and works well in this growing environment. This a Eve shift, 2pm-1030pm, with every other weekend and rotating holidays.
*Excludes ExternalLocated on an 80-acre campus in Mesa, Arizona, Banner Desert Medical Center is one of Arizona's largest and most comprehensive hospitals and is recognized by U.S. News and World Report as one of Phoenix's Best Hospitals. We provide an abundance of exceptional opportunities with more than 600 licensed beds, including over 100 dedicated to children. Areas of excellence include high-risk pregnancy and neonatal care, obstetrics and gynecology, pediatrics, cardiology, oncology and emergency medicine. With 21 operating rooms, we offer a full range of surgical specialties and advanced technology that includes the daVincir Surgical System. About Banner Children's Hospital at Desert If you desire to provide the best care possible to the most vulnerable patients, come to Banner Children's Hospital at Desert in Mesa, Ariz. Within our 248-bed, state-of-the-art facility, specially trained nurses, physicians and other clinical professionals utilize the most advanced technology - including iCare ICU monitoring and robotic surgery - to provide high quality, child-friendly, family-centered care. Our facilities feature a recently expanded 104-bed NICU, a 24-bed PICU, six pediatric ORs and a 26-bed ED. We also offer dedicated pediatric rehab, radiology, oncology and hematology capabilities. With clinical diversity, exceptional training programs and a supportive culture, this is a place where you can grow in your career as you help our very special patients.
This position will work under the supervision of the pharmacist performing routine duties in packaging, distribution, non-sterile compounding, and record-keeping of pharmaceutical supplies. Serves as a liaison between the customer and the pharmacist. Becomes proficient in preparing compounded intravenous medications, total parenteral nutrition products, and chemotherapeutic agents within compliance with USP regulations. Effectively uses pharmacy computer systems to investigate and respond to missing medication requests. Consistently demonstrates an ability to assess a situation, consider alternatives, and choose the appropriate course of action. May educate and train peer Pharmacy Technicians, Technician Externs, Technician Trainees, and volunteers. Must demonstrate the knowledge and skills necessary to provide care appropriate to the age of the patients.
1. Identifies medications and other items for reorder as necessary to maintain a continuous inventory of medications and supplies. Receives, checks-in, and restocks medications ordered through the wholesaler and other vendors verifying all quantities against invoices. Assesses practical ways to deal with shorted items and short-dated or unusable items.
2. Manages users within the automated dispensing technology database as per policy. Investigates discrepancies and troubleshoots malfunctions in automated dispensing technology.
3. Exhibits excellent interpersonal skills and is customer service oriented in all contacts with patients, visitors and staff. Responds to standard requests from internal customers. Interacts primarily with department personnel, cross-department personnel, internal customers, patients and physicians.
4. May use automated dispensing technology or requisition to restock medications to nursing and ancillary areas after checking by a pharmacist. When allowed by law and policy, and upon completion of proper training/competency assessment, may restock automated dispensing technology using barcode scanning verification devices. Restocks medications to all areas outside automated dispensing technology which may include but not limited to trays, code carts and emergency boxes.
5. Compounds non-sterile medication products. Understands and appropriately follows all product worksheets/recipes for documentation and check processes. Understands and adheres to all applicable USP compounding guidelines. Demonstrates knowledge of and consistently performs calibrations of equipment and accurately measures components for compounding. Repackages bulk medications into unit of use packaging. Completes accurate documentation of medications compounded and repackaged per policy.
6. Maintains a safe and clean working environment by complying with all policies, laws, and regulations. Performs quality control activities such as monthly nursing unit inspections and pharmacy section checks in a timely manner. Completes documentation of refrigerator temperatures, and equipment maintenance activities as required.
7. Handles narcotic medications following all federal and legal requirements as set through policy and procedure. Understands all regulatory requirements for receiving, compounding, repackaging, and distribution for controlled substances. Consistently adheres to all storage and inventory movement documentation requirements for controlled substances.
8. Becomes proficient in performing compounding and labeling of intravenous non-hazardous compounds using proper sterile and aseptic technique as appropriate to the site of care. Understands the different product lines in sterile populations (adult, pediatric, and neonate). Completes all required environmental cleaning procedures. Documents all required tasks and other information per policy.
High school diploma/GED or equivalent working knowledge. Completion of a Pharmacy Technician Certification Program.
Requires Pharmacy Technician licensure and active Pharmacy Technician certification (exception for Nevada) OR Pharmacy Intern licensure in the state of practice.
Ability to complete moderate to difficult mathematical calculations using a hand-held calculator is required. Strong customer service focus, exceptional communication skills, strong attention to detail, prioritization capabilities, superior problem-solving skills, and ability to multi-task. Must have knowledge of computer software, particularly medication management information system software, Microsoft applications and automated dispensing systems. Must demonstrate effective oral and written communication skills for interfacing with all levels of staff, physicians, patients, and other contacts.
Employees working at Banner Behavioral Health Hospital must possess an Arizona Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment. Employees working at Banner MD Anderson or BUMC-P Whole Health Counseling must possess a State of Arizona Department of Public Safety Level One Fingerprint Clearance Card at the time of hire and maintain the card for the duration of their employment.
Additional related education and/or experience preferred.